Tuesday, April 14, 2009

3D TV

COOL TECH

Saw this at MicroCenter store. Play in 3D! The sign says. It really is in 3D. If you've seen 3D movies, recently, then you know the effect. It works based on polarised lenses. Really cool piece of technology.

However, I can't tell you much about it, since the person behind the gaming counter don't know anything about it, except that it uses 2 DVI inputs.

This particular Microcenter is staffed with good people, but I think they should replace this guy. I never did get anything out of him. This is the guy who when asked to recommend a good first person shooter for Nintendo DS, couldn't name even one. I even pointed out the Call of Duty game. Negative. Needless to say, I didn't buy the game.

Turns out the game is terrific. I picked it up at Target, after seeing glowing review. It's perfect! It's exactly what I was looking for. So MicroCenter lost a sale on that one.

I also asked him about the new DSi, but he couldn't tell me anything about it either. At one point, I asked whether any Internet connection would work. "Sure", was his reply. Not true! You need to either know the exact settings, or use AOSS. Not all Wifi settings are open or automatic. So bad advice there. I did buy one, but can't get DSi ware, which is disappointing.

So, about the 3D monitor. I asked him whether it works with all games. "Yes", he said. "Even Pacman?" I asked. "Sure", he answered. Folks, Pacman is 2D! Obviously, this guy is rattling out his usual nonsense.

My guess is that the game needs to be able to support multiple monitor output, such as Doom, and this acts like a double monitor put into one.

The effect is certainly spectacular! Just as good as 3D movies, albeit with lower resolution. If you like 3D movies, and I do, I'm sure you like this 3D monitor.

No comments: