Friday, May 15, 2009

Realism in computer games

GAMES

I recently played a couple PS3 games. Medal of Honor: the world at war, and Gran Tourismo. Both are excellent with details and realism. It felt like in a movie, except I participate in it. Unfortunately, I think the realism interferes with gameplay. It's not as fun anymore.

It reminds me of F-15 Strike Falcon. It was a game billed as the most realistic simulation ever. Excepting the anemic graphic at the time, it mostly succeeded. Unfortunately, it was no longer fun. The designer wisely put forth a few less realistic modes.

I think the new games should have it also. And as long as I'm dreaming, how about multiple levels of graphic sophistications, so that the old computer users among us don't feel left out.

In any case, there's always chess playing skill to teach the kids, these young whipper-snappers with extremely fine-tuned finger fu, a thing or two . :)

No comments: