Friday, August 28, 2009

Pinacola Pain

FUN

This Minis March Again Custom Level Design was really easy to design and build, but extremely difficult to complete. As you can see, it is very simple. The original name of the level was "Simple", but I changed it to "Pain" because that was the overriding word that goes through my mind when playtesting it.

The actual build itself was only about 2 minutes. No big deal. However, when I playtest it, I kept falling over. As you can see, you have to be perfect. The level is not complicated, but you absolutely cannot make a mistake! It is definitely a twitcher game.

In the end, I did make the simple level easier to do by adding 3 more blocks on each side. However, when I finished it, I didn't feel proud. I knew there was a higher challenge ahead. I also knew that my skill set was insufficient.

So, I decided to grow my skill. It took a long time, because I'm careful in how I train. I don't want to train for hours and inadvertently trained tired, sloppy techniques. So I trained until I feel like I start to get sloppy, then I stop.

It works. By the time I actually completed the level, it felt like walking in the park. It didn't feel difficult at all.

So, the next time you see something that you feel is difficult, don't be afraid. Ask yourself this: Is this endeavor worthwhile? If so, then learn how to do it, and practice! You WILL be able to do it eventually, and effortlessly, at that.

Growing Pains are pains, but you also grow to be a better person because of it.

No comments: