Friday, August 16, 2013

Hazards Working in Cloud

I never understand why people think it's a good idea to have a web application, by that, I mean that the computer program lives in the cloud (off-site server) and you're just doing a dumb terminal somewhere.

Sure, the concept of remote working isn't new. The dumb terminal has been available since the first computer network. The point is: I'd rather download a small application so I can work locally, save locally, and only publish remotely.

I have been working on my blogspot, and the web app saves every 5 seconds. Of course the app is slow and plodding. Saving remotely takes a long time. I bet I can work 3 times faster if the saving isn't automatic. This does not take account that if the save fails for any reason, there'd be a message saying so, shifting the text a few lines down, and there goes my cursor placement.

The worst part is, saving isn't guaranteed. What if it fails for any reason? And if the network is flaky, you can bet that there will be problem. What now? You cannot save a local copy for back up. You have to face the fact that you are hostage in network connection uptime, or just bite the bullet and lose the whole work that you did.


No comments: