Saturday, June 6, 2009

Pixar Up Movie Review

REVIEW

Reading a news article of how Pixar gives free rein to the director makes me want to see this movie. Obviously, not everything can be good. However, I've been wanting to see a good 3D movie, and this is the first potentially good one I see so far.

I saw it in Chinese Theatre. A good place to see 3D movies, the glasses kind. About the thing that annoys me is that the 3D glasses didn't fit too well with my eyeglasses. It fit decently, but not really secure. Not enough to distract me from enjoying the movie, though.

As far as story goes, the premise is terrible. Pretty much about an old man living his dream of going to South America, and does it via ballons. The title didn't give me any hope either. "Up" didn't really excite me. However, the implementation is excellent. There's still too many physical impossibilities for my taste, and if I nitpick, the timings are slightly off. It is, however, an excellent movie. The best one I've seen in a long time.

If you're at all like me, then you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll be glad you see it in 3D. And that's just in the first 20 minutes. After a terrific start, there's some slowdowns in the beginning, but starting in the middle, the adventures picks up and never missed a beat. The tempo really picks up once they meet a talking dog. What did I say about physical impossibilities? But I tolerate it since it moves the movie right along and seeing the dogs interactions did make me laugh. Some incredible action near the end. It gave me vertigo. I have to go back way back to Star Wars' Death Star's Trench run to get the same intense feeling. It's that good and intense. I'm really glad I saw it in 3D. Star Trek tried it, but due to it being 2D, it felt flat. Definitely catch this movie in 3D!

I hope this movie does well. It's different. It spans generation, and is a good clean fun. I just hope people understand that this movie is every bit as good as Spiderman, but simply without the brand recognition. Definitely see it in 3D if you can. It's that good, and easily worth the extra couple dollars for the experience.

No comments: